Light and Dark: Secondary Character Design Competition 2016
Terms & Conditions
1. This competition is open to New Zealand residents attending high school in New Zealand in Years 11, 12 and 13, who have obtained their parents’ and/or legal guardians’ permission to enter and whose parents and/or legal guardians consent to be bound by these terms and conditions in their own right and on behalf of the entrant excluding employees (and their immediate families) of Animation College New Zealand Limited (“Animation College”) and any affiliates, as well as representatives or agencies of Animation College or other persons professionally connected with the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition. Information on how to enter and prize details set out in all communications regarding Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition form part of the terms and conditions.
2. The opening date for the receipt of entries by Animation College is Friday the 13th of May 2016 and the closing date for receipt of entries by Animation College is 7pm (NZST) on 29 of May 2016. Entries received after this time will not be eligible for entry into the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition. An entrant’s school may set a closing time for submission of entries to that school. An entrant must submit his or her entry to his or her school by that time to be submitted before closing date.
3. The winning entry and second and third place will be announced at 7pm on 17 June 2016 via the Light and Dark Facebook page. Winning entries will be selected by a judging panel consisting of; Senior Animators, The Head of Animation at Animation College, Animation College Alumni and one third year Animation College Student and recommended artworks can/will be put forward for consideration from volunteer Head of Departments from participating high schools. The entrees will be judged on; i) Expression: clarity of the depicted emotion, clear to read and understand, ii) Character Pose: body language depicting emotion must be strong and embody the characters mood, iii) Style & Technique/Visual Appeal: Wow factor or something unexpected. What special and unique technique/medium has the entrant used to create their work.
4. First place will receive; total value over $10,000: 1st year full scholarship at Animation College*, $2,000 cash, 1 year Adobe Creative Cloud pack valued at $653, a BenQ Designer Monitor valued at $899, Playtech Vouchers worth $300 and an Arkham City Comics Pack. Second place; $1,000 cash, 1 year Adobe Creative Cloud pack valued at $653, Playtech Vouchers worth $150, An Arkham City Comics Pack valued at $40, a Wacom Intuos Pro Medium valued at $432. Third prize; $500 cash, 1 year Adobe Creative Cloud pack valued at $653, Playtech Vouchers worth $50, an Arkham City Comics Prize Pack valued at $24 and a Wacom Intuos Pro Medium valued at $432.
5. The winning entries will be contacted via telephone. Winning entries must be validated by the student’s HOD/Art Teacher, to verify that this is students own work, only original entries will be accepted, no copies or heavily referenced work will be accepted. All unauthentic entries will be disqualified and high schools will be notified and the next best entry chosen.
6. Any personal information collected during the course of the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition by Animation College will be used for administering this competition and further marketing activities, or as otherwise set out in these terms and conditions. Except where prohibited by law, participation in the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition constitutes the entrants and his or her parents and/or legal guardian’s consent to the acknowledgement by the entrant and his or her parent and/or legal guardian that Animation College may use third party facilities to process, store or back up its information. However, this does not change any of Animation College’s commitments to safeguard the entrant’s privacy. Subject to parental and/or legal guardian consent, the winner may be required to participate in publicity such as press interviews or other promotion on the Animation College services, after the conclusion of the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition which Animation College or its partners may reasonably arrange.
7. Animation College may use the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition characters in any manner they see fit (including with or without attribution) within future communications. The Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition may also be used by Animation College for press and media purposes.
8. All entries and any intellectual property rights in such entries become and remain the sole property of Animation College. Each entrant consents to all relevant acts or omissions in relation to that persons moral rights in his or her entry which may or might otherwise constitute a breach or infringement of those moral rights and, to the extent permitted by law, waives all of his or her moral rights in the entry. The entrant agrees that, except where prohibited by law, and unless otherwise advised by the entrant, all entries will be entered into a database and Animation College reserves the right to use the entrant’s entry for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes in any media worldwide without notice and without fee being paid by or to the entrant.
9. Animation College accepts no responsibility for entries lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid, howsoever caused.
10. Entries will not be returned. Entrants may enter multiple times.
11. Decisions of Animation College and the judging panel are final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to such decisions.
12. Prizes must be taken as offered. Animation College reserves the right to substitute prize(s) of an equivalent value should a prize become unavailable for any reason. Prizes not claimed by the 30th of September 2018 will be forfeited.
13. Animation College does not assume any responsibility for any products and services offered under the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition. The products and services provided solely by the relevant vendors, under such terms and conditions as determined by such vendors, and Animation College accepts no liability whatsoever in connection with such products and services. The products and services have not been certified by Animation College and under no circumstances shall the inclusion of any product or service in the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition be construed as an endorsement or recommendation of such product or service by Animation College.
14. The entrants and their parents and/or legal guardians acknowledge that Animation College and its directors, officers, employees and agents, shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with the entrants participation in the Light and Dark: Secondary School Character Design Competition or a prize winners receipt of use of any part of the prizes, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
15. These terms and conditions will be governed by the laws of New Zealand.
* The scholarship entitles the winner to the first year of a two year Animation College Level 6 course of their choosing either; a Diploma in Applied Animation 2D or a Diploma in Applied Animation 3D which has a value of $9,299 or first year of a three year course of the Bachelor of Animation valued at $9,272. The winner may defer the scholarship for up to three years. The scholarship cannot be redeemed for cash or transferred to another person. If the Scholarship is not taken up by the winner by February 2020 the prize will be forfeited.